High school football is now scheduled to begin on time with the first Friday night of games on Aug. 21.
Here are 50 questions regarding the 2020 season.
1. Will the season be able to finish because of the COVID-19 pandemic?
2. Can Central win its third straight Class 5A state championship?
3. Will Alcoa win its sixth straight state championship, which would be the second-longest streak in state history behind the Tornadoes’ seven straight from 2004-10?
4. How will Maryville do after losing several key starters from last season’s state championship team?
5. Can Alcoa’s Grey Carroll, a Georgia Tech commitment and semifinalist for Mr. Football in Class 3A last season, win Mr. Football this season?
6. How will Austin-East do in Antonio Mays’ first year as coach?
7. Will Powell repeat as region champion?
8. How will Kaden Martin, Tee Martin’s son, do in his first full season as starting quarterback for Catholic?
9. Can Anderson County reach the state semifinals for the first time since 1996?
10. Will West reach the Class 5A semifinals for the second straight year?
11. Can Farragut get past Maryville in the Class 6A playoffs after being eliminated by the Rebels the last three seasons?
12. Can Karns make the playoffs for the first time since 2011?
13. How will quarterback Nick Martin do in his first full season as a starter for South-Doyle?
14. Will Grace Christian quarterback Cooper Riggs throw for over 3,000 yards and 20 touchdowns for the second straight season?
15. How will Class 1A runnerup Greenback do after losing starting quarterback Braden Carnes and Mr. Football winner Holden Willis?
16. How will Bearden do after the graduation of four-year starting quarterback Collin Ironside?
17. Can Mike Potter lead Hardin Valley to the Class 5A playoffs in his second season as coach?
18. Will Heritage win a game after going 0-10 in each of the last two seasons?
19. How many yards will McMinn County running back Jalen Hunt rush for after getting 1,728 in 2019?
20. Can Jefferson County, which finished 3-7 last season, reach the playoffs for the first time since 2016?
21. How many games will Clinton win in Darell Keith’s first season as coach?
22. Can Halls reach the Class 5A playoffs for the sixth straight year, despite losing star running back Jake Parris?
23. Who will replace Farragut’s Gavin Wilkinson, a three-year starter at quarterback?
24. Can Justin Pressley lead Carter to the playoffs in his first season as coach?
25. Can Oak Ridge running back Kendall Jackson, who had 914 yards last season, rush for over 1,000 this season?
26. Can The King’s Academy reach the semifinals of the Division II-A playoffs for the first time?
27. Will Austin-East’s Ke’on Smith record over 1,000 receiving yards for the second straight season?
28. Can Loudon make a deep playoff run for the second straight season?
29. How many touchdown passes will Sevier County quarterback Collin Shannon have after throwing 24 last season?
30. Can Powell’s Adarius Redmond build on his breakout freshman season of 678 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns?
31. How will Oneida fare without Elijah West, who was the quarterback of the year in Region 2-2A last season?
32. Can Fulton, which lost in the first round in 2019, make a deep playoff run?
33. How many games will Pigeon Forge win in Scott Meadows’ first season back as coach?
34. How many tackles for loss will Central’s Kalib Fortner record after averaging 25 the last two seasons?
35. How will Greeneville do in Eddie Spradlen’s first season as coach?
36. Can Coalfield get past Greenback in the playoffs after being eliminated by the Cherokees the last four seasons?
37. Can Cocke County have a bounce-back year after going 1-9 last season?
38. How will Gatlinburg-Pittman’s offense look without Bryce Akey, who rushed for 28 touchdowns last season?
39. Can William Blount win its first playoff game since 2007?
40. Will West running back Isaiah Mattress run for over 1,000 yards like he did last season?
41. Will Anderson County quarterback Stone Hatmaker throw for over 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns like he did last season?
42. Can Grainger make a deep playoff run in Class 4A?
43. Can CAK avoid being eliminated in the first round of the Division II-AA playoffs for the fourth year in a row?
44. Will Seymour reach the playoffs for the first time since 2015?
45. Will Alcoa shut out all of its region opponents during the regular season like it did last year?
46. Will Oakland and Maryville meet in the Class 6A semifinals for the seventh straight season?
47. Can Union County win its first playoff game in 26 years?
48. Can Knoxville Webb have a bounce-back year after winning its fewest games (3) since 2008?
49. How will Powell running back Fernando Frances, an all-region selection in 2018, do after missing all of last season with a knee injury?
50. Will a team be forced to miss games due to an outbreak of COVID-19?